Non Lucrative Visa

What is it? Who needs it? What do you need?

What is the Non Lucrative Visa

The non-lucrative residence visa can be applied for by non-EU citizens who wish to reside in Spain for more than 6 months, without carrying out any work or professional activity in the country. 

This visa grants temporary residence, of which the holder can reside in Spain up to a year from their date of entry. Once this period is over, holders have the option to renew this visa; each renewal will last up to two years. The third renewal of this visa (5 years) will grant the holder permanent or long-term residence.

The conditions of this visa mean that it is usually designed for the following people:

  • UK citizens who are retiring and would like to live in Spain 
  • UK citizens who have sufficient economic means to live in Spain without having to work

Why should I choose the Spanish non-lucrative visa?

  • Apply for a family or joint visa: Include your spouse and other family members. 
  • Free movement: Holders can travel freely within the Schengen Area.
  • Work remotely from Spain: Work remotely for any clients or company abroad. 
  • Potential to invest: Invest in a property to use for rental purposes.

what are the requirements for a non-lucrative residence visa in Spain?

British citizens who wish to apply for the non-lucrative residence visa must meet the following requirements:

  • Have proof of sufficient economic means 
  • Passport with at least one year validity before its expiry date 
  • Have a UK residence permit
  • No position in an unusual situation within Spanish territory
  • No criminal record in both the UK and Spain 
  • For the joint visa, spouses, ancestors and descendants can be included. Children can be applied for by the parent if they are under the age of 21, a student or a dependent.
  • Be in possession of public or private health insurance arranged with an insurance company that is authorised to operate in Spain. You must have total coverage; no shortages or co-payments. 
  • Medical certificate complying with the International Health Regulations – this must be issued at least 3 months before the submission of your visa application.

For anyone who needs Private health insurance for their Visa application Albox Insurance is the only place to go, with staff dedicated purely to health insurance we can provide you with the most professional and knowledgeable service. If you would like information on the health insurance please Click Here